The UK Space Agency is offering grants of up to £3,000 for organisations to take on recent graduates (2017 or 2018) or postgraduate students for work placements in the space industry.
Closing Date: 5pm, 30 October 2018 or earlier if funds exhausted
The funding, from the Agency’s Space Placements in Industry (SPIN) scheme, is for projects focused on Earth Observation and Spaceflight that can be carried out by a recent graduate (graduated in 2017 or 2018) or postgraduate student in a relevant discipline.
There is a total of £30,000 funding available, with a maximum of £3,000 for each award. UK Space agency, by exception, will provide additional funding if there is a strong response from industry.
The scheme, which is supported by the Satellite Applications Catapult in Harwell, is run to support paid work placements for students or those recently graduated within the space sector.
It is part of the UK Space Agency’s skills and careers objectives, as set out in its Education, Skills and Outreach Strategy.
Successful projects must:
- be based in the UK in an organisation active in the specific area which is a Small or Medium Enterprise (<250 employees), university, charity, not-for-profit organisation or government agency or a large organisation active in the UK, for Spaceflight related projects ONLY
- support the skills aims of the UK Space Agency
- have the support of their host organisation and have a nominated supervisor
- ensure that the intern is paid an appropriate salary for the organisation as clearly described on the proposal
- include a simple evaluation strategy (regular reviews with the intern, feedback on their CV before completion, production of an academic type poster for presentation at a dedicated SPIN Showcase Event at the UK Space Conference 2019)
For further information, please email Katharine.Bowden@ukspaceagency.gov.uk