The UK Space Agency is seeking support to help deliver UK goals in securing downstream benefits from Global Monitoring for Environment and Security (GMES). Work to establish a UK position on GMES is needed in the first part of 2012. Candidates are needed who would be available until July 2012. There is scope to extend this for a further period if needed.
This role requires knowledge of ground segment and/or data exploitation issues, and will provide a unique opportunity for an individual to gain experience working in government on science policy and strategic delivery. It will also offer the chance to represent the Space Agency and UK government across a range of stakeholders including other government departments, international partners and industry. The role may be undertaken on a full or part-time basis.
Applicants interested in providing support are requested to send a CV and covering letter by 10th January to Ruth Boumphrey and Alice Bunn (Ruth.email@example.com and Alice.firstname.lastname@example.org).
• To set out plans that aim to maximise growth to the UK from downstream exploitation of GMES data.
• To support developments at Harwell to ensure public investment enables maximum exploitation of GMES data by the broadest range of stakeholders
• To assist collecting national requirements for GMES data (academic, industrial and public sector), alongside the service requirements work carried out by Defra.
• To support development of the sentinels’ High Level Operations Plan (HLOP), taking into account national data requirements
• To participate in European Space Agency (ESA)’s GMES Operations Consultation group (GOCG) and, as appropriate, ESA’s Ground segment Coordination Body (GSCB) and feedback to the broader UK community
• To set the agenda and arrange logistics for an ESA delegation visit to the UK in the April/May timeframe
• To participate in the cloud computing and GSCB technology workshops in February and June 2012 respectively
• To identify priority areas for ESA and EU investment in GMES programmes, in the context of the 2012 ESA Ministerial and the EU’s Multi Annual financial framework negotiations.
• Other tasks subject to requirements and availability